Do you want to get paid to play outside, and spend time helping others have amazing adventures in Humboldt? Do you feel most alive when you’re in the water, catching a wave? Does the thought of having to work at a desk or stare at a screen all day make you feel dead inside? Do you have a high level of patience and a knack for breaking down a skill that comes naturally to you? Are you a hard worker with a great sense of humor, a healthy dose of energy, and a commitment to safety first?
If you said “YES!” to all of these, then you’re who we’ve been looking for to be a Surfing Instructor for Pacific Outfitters.
Location: Our store is located in Eureka, CA, but guided tours are throughout Humboldt County
Pay Scale: Hourly work $15.50 – $17.00 or Piece Rate $125 – $370
Job Type: Seasonal/Part time
To apply for this position, please download and fill out an
Then email it, along with your resume, to
No walk-ins please.
Who We Are
We are an outdoor sporting goods store based in Eureka, California (with a second store location in Ukiah, California). Since 1968, we’ve been committed to preparing our customers for their next adventure while also making a positive impact on people and the planet. While our roots are in the retail business, we started guided adventure tours and classes in 2013. We offer a range of guided experiences, such as:
- Guided Kayak and Canoe Adventures
- Guided Surfing & SUP Adventures
- Diving Certification
- Guided Hikes
- Firearm Classes
At our core, we’re just a bunch of outdoor enthusiasts who are stoked to share our love for adventure with our customers. These are the values that guide our business every day.
Love for Adventure: We love sharing our excitement for the outdoors with our customers. Every item in our store and every outdoor experience we lead is designed to help enhance your pursuit of adventure!
Prepared for Anything: Adventures always have an element of the unexpected. We work hard to make sure you are never unprepared for the road ahead.
Committed to Stewardship: We want to make sure our actions have a positive impact on our community and our planet. We partner with eco-conscious brands, proactively support our local community, and we take the initiative to leave our green spaces better than we found them.
- Must have sound knowledge and experience of this surfing, both in summer and winter conditions and shall have completed at least a course on first aid.
- Verifies that the area is available and weather conditions are acceptable, confirming with the Reservations Desk and the Client or rescheduling as needed
- Prepares lesson / float plan
- Verifies that all necessary equipment is present and in good condition. Missing or damaged equipment must be replaced/repaired before the Activity begins
- Obtains a signed waiver from each Client
- Inspects vehicles prior to use
- Stages all of the Client’s equipment, ensuring that the gear is functional and fits properly
- Reviews the class outline with Clients, instructing Clients on proper technique, and explaining the communication terminology and signals used while on the water, the contingency plans for emergencies and accidents, and the hazards of the Activity
- Assists Clients with launching their board
- Keeps the group close together and constantly checks the surroundings, Clients, and potential hazards
- Provides clear direction on where the Clients should be heading, breaking up long distances with periods of rest
- Directs and assists Clients while landing
- Verifies that all the gear and equipment has been returned
- Loads the gear and equipment, securing it for safe transport
- Unloads and cleans all gear and equipment, staging it for easy loading for the next Activity. Any damage or loss that occurred during the trip must be notated on the Equipment Checklist, which is then turned into the manager or Administrator
- Files all waivers, checklists, and any Incident/Injury reports for the trip
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds throughout the Activity
- Able to carry large or bulky items up to eighty (80) pounds
- Able to bend and stretch to place and retrieve items
- Able to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time
- Able to wear a wetsuit
- Able to withstand cold and hot climates and poor weather conditions
- Keep a clean, safe workplace at all times
- Lead Instructors must be able to perform the following:
- 1000 yard ocean swim in less than 25 minutes, to include entering and exiting the surf zone with waves up to 6 feet.
- Stand up surf and body surf all wave types up to 6 feet comfortably
- Assistant Instructors should be able to perform the following:
- 500 yard open water swim in less than 15 minutes, may include surf zone entry / exit with waves up to 3 feet
- Stand up surf and body surf gently cresting and white water waves up to 3 feet comfortably
Academy employee benefits include paid sick leave and employee discounts on products, classes, tours and rentals.